Real race engine builders know and understand that initial start up--It does not matter as long as you have some lash OK?
But they also know that if you understand Anything about an engine or racing or cams or this business that you set valves hot Period! That is IF you want it right--so since that thing will run with about any setting folks start getting cute and come up with all this BS calculations etc from cold to hot etc and decide they know more than the engineers that designed the engine and or parts Well...you don;t--you get a pass because the engine will run with the valves open a little or with .040 lash so you wind up thinking you are on to something--you are--Not following age old guidelines that are designed to help you get it Correct

In the past i used some Cam motion cams that were inverse radius designs--the low spot on the lobe was NOT on the base it was up the side--so setting valves was tricky--I remember a 500 CI big block that was running 5.10's after delivery then a couple weeks later was winning rounds but running 5.40's owner had set valves WAY too tight and valves were not closing--we re-set lash and it went right back to 5.10's no harm done
OK you set them at .040 and guess what ??It runs but sounds like two skeletons screwing on a tin roof--yes it can and will harm the unit by bashing the lifters but my point is
IF you want to know something about this subject just follow the CORRECT procedure for setting mechanical lash and do it HOT or ...produce your engineering degree thesis you did on why your way is "better"

Gees! This is an easy subject that gets lots of argument from people that just will not listen

I believe that the reason for that I have already stated --an engine will run with almost any lash but each lobe design has very specific lash settings based on lifter diameter and opening and closing ramp designs as well as many other factors so WHY fight the engineers that built the part??????????

OK you set it correctly HOT and then check when cold so you have an idea --makes life easier I get that but honestly please just derive that info from a HOT setting will ya?