My first setup was a stock tank with a sump and pump mounted under the tank using carriage bolts in the tank straps to hold the pump bracket. With the external pump, had to run a 100 micron pre-filter too. It worked fine but did not look good having the sump, filter, and pump all under the tank.

I like the in-tank fuel pump. The pump has the screen/hydromat so don't need the separate pre-filter like an external setup. The in-tank pump also runs cooler and quieter, but really it is just less connections and a cleaner install. The issues with the in-tank setup is fuel pickup when the tank is low on fuel, and tank to trunk floor clearance for the pump fittings. For your application it looks like you would have to modify the tank for clearance?

The surge tank was a solution for keeping the EFI pump submerged in fuel before the pumps with sumps, hydromat, and EFI baffled tanks existed. It is many more connections and lines, and an extra fuel pump. In my opinion, the money spent on a surge tank could be spent in modifying a stock tank for EFI. If you don't want to work/weld on your old tank that had gas in it, those tanks are less than $100 brand new.