Originally Posted By DaytonaTurbo
You guys getting bent out of shape need to take a step back and re-read OP's post. I don't think he's ragging on techs for the time taking what it takes. The real issue is the poor vehicle design and lousy quality. At $100/hr shop rate it adds up quickly. I don't really see what any of that has to do with the technician himself. The job takes the time it takes no matter what shop you bring it to.

OK fair enough, let's take another look.

Quote:
First is a tune up. I checked at a local shop and he told me like $430. Wait, WHAT?!?!?!? $430 to change a set of plugs? He also told me it takes 3 hours and copper core plugs. Ok, now I know it’s been a while since I’ve really done any work on cars. I used to do all my own work, but these new computer controlled cars are a little more intimidating. I know it has a coil on plug ignition and the plugs are centered in the heads like a hemi so I don’t really see why it would take 3 hours. I know it’s a transverse mounted engine, but with the plugs on top, I don’t think it should be too hard to get to the back plugs.

So the questions for this are: 1, am I right thinking it shouldn’t take 3 hours and 2, does it really take copper core plugs? When I checked Autozone, it’s listing double platinum plugs. Also, what brand of plugs do you recommend? I’ve always been a diehard Champion user in my Mopars, but do they still work best in the modern engines?

work I don't see it your way.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.