Originally Posted By dogdays
I knew that my comments would not go un-carped upon. Did I use the word "antiquated" anywhere?

I don't give a poop about cam phaser problems, I am not buying a ford pickup. Obviously if one wanted to build a hotrod version of the engine the redline would be higher. So what? So pushrods work to 11,000rpm. So what?

You guys fire off comments without doing the research. That's your right, but it doesn't make you more knowledgeable.

The original question was which direction would a new version of the Hemi go. My suggestion was that it might go in the direction of the 6.2, as the rocker arm arrangement of that engine very closely resembled the rocker arm arrangement of a Hemi or, for that matter a Toyota 20R.

The reason I was familiar with this is my recent trip in a new pickup that had the 6.2, which was quite impressive to my 318-powered self. And I figured out that the engine was OHC from inside the cab, from the sounds it was or wasn't making.

End of rebuttal.

R.

Sorry I wasn't actually trying to argue with you though I guess it did sound that way, my comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular and I do get your point. I'm simply saying if Ford went through all the development to make a SOHC truck engine why does it only rev to 5500 RPM? And have basically the same output as an engine half a liter smaller in displacement (5.7 Hemi)? It's like the modular engines, with all the advanced technology they had they should have been on another level vs. GM and Chrysler but were basically mediocre throughout their entire run. They had all the problems of modern engine technology with no real advantages over the competition. I don't think the 6.2 is a "bad" engine I'm just disappointed it can't do more (and yes I know Ford has the special high-output version as an option on the Raptor).

Pushrod arrangement does create a lot of extra heat at high RPMs and has more friction but it keeps big-displacement engines more compact and lighter. I just feel like with pushrod engines like the Hemi and LS being as good as they are, any future V8 from Chrysler or GM that does have OHC better take full advantage of it and really raise the bar. Or at least just Chrysler lol

Last edited by EagleDuster; 01/12/18 06:34 AM.

Khalid
1970 Plymouth Duster, 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4x4