Originally Posted By mickm
Originally Posted By Transman
Listen to poly - everything else is just opinions without data it seems.
Not sure how you could go wrong with leaving the pushrods out.

Hey guys, not sure of the relevance here. My goal is to have the cam lubed, and button the engine up. But if I leave the springs uncompressed, then I have to spin the cam a few times to set the lash on all the valves essentially wiping some of the lube off the cam.

If I leave the engine open, I can just re lube after setting the valves, but that means leaving it open.

So I guess it's really, would you:

a) leave it open with valves unadjusted
b) button it up with valves unadjusted
c) button it up and adjust valves.

I don't get it. How much and and long do you think the cam lube that is slathered all over the cam is going to be on there as soon as you hit the starter? The same amount as would be if you turn the engine over by hand.

The black coating on the cam and the finish on the bottom of the lifters is what retains enough lube to keep the cam from being dry on start up. Once it's running the cam is lubed from oil thrown off the rods.

Cams don't go flat from it having enough cam lube on them, because it doesn't take much. They go flat because the engine didn't start and it gets cranked to death before starting. They go flat because the lifter doesn't rotate. They go flat because you can get lifters that aren't machined correctly.

I don't install a set of flat lifters until I verify all of them have the correct crown.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston