Originally Posted By WO23Coronet
Originally Posted By ric3xrt
I did 2 VVT builds this year ,2 weeks(11/15/17) ago we tore down one of the VVT builds that used the delete kit, and the front cam bearing is grooved at the back edge where the adaptor rides on the bearing
, car had 40 runs and roughly 3500 mile on the build. we pulled it just to check to see how the VVT delete was holding up.

now the engine owner is thinking of taking a Non VVT cam core , turning down the front journal, and making a "cap" (his words) to place over the front of the cam......My opinion is it's not worth the cost for one unit.

What caused the groove? Was the adapter moving/squirming around on the front cam journal, making it cockeyed? When you guys pressed the adapter onto the non VVT cam did you through a dial indicator on the journals to see how true it ran? (not questioning your work, just wondering the process for installing the adapter)

Like mentioned, would it not work if you sleeved the front VVT journal down to non VVT size, install a non VVT cam bearing and use a spacer on the front of the cam to make up the length difference? Maybe not economical for a customer but if someone had a basic lathe to do it for themselves it wouldn't be to hard, no?

The Nutter design cam adapter does not press onto the cam. It gets sandwiched between the cam & cam gear, when bolted together. Turning something on a lather is only part of the job. It would need to be hardened and then ground on the OD to bring it to size and get a nice surface finish.

The biggest thing I didn't like about it, is the fact that the oiling for the cam journal is not covered by the cam anymore which means there is a big oil leak now. The oil grooves in the VVT cam line up with two feed holes in the bearing, that provides the oil to the Cam Phaser. Once you put the smaller non VVT cam journal in there, they are wide open and the adapter is forward of the oiling holes. The adapter only gets residual oil, not a direct feed.