Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I was taught by the old Mopar drag engineer group at their drag race seminars that wedge motor single shaft rocker arms should start with the contact pattern on the valve stems to start on the inner third of the valve stem and then sweep outward across the center of the stem to the outer third at max lift, does yours do that now?

It better not, or Mike botched his kit! haha

Two current schools of thought on rocker geometry:

1. Have the rocker arm perpendicular to the valve tip at 50% lift, which means the rocker tip starts slightly inboard of the center of the valve tip, sweeps out across the center at mid-lift, then sweeps back slightly inboard again at max lift. This approach yields a narrower overall sweep pattern and -- if components are designed properly -- will have this sweep pattern centered over the valve tip. I'm pretty sure this is the approach Mike at B3RE takes w/ his kits. Although T&D's bolt-on kits don't achieve this, this is the "ideal" geometry T&D describes in their catalog.

2. What I'll call "Jesel Geometry" (since I've seen them use this term themselves) which has the rocker arm perpendicular to the valve tip at around 2/3 max lift. Their explanation for this approach is that it reduces the amount of sweep when the valve train is under the highest spring loads, although it results in a wider sweep pattern than what I described in #1, and also puts the starting point of the sweep when the valve is closed more inboard of the valve centerline.

The image directly above shows the sweeps that result from both the Jesel "Low Pivot" approach and "Half-Lift" approach that I described in #1.

wrench