Quote:

Quote:

bad idea, if you have just a few small sandes thru on a corner or edge it'll fly, but I wouldn't apply it over bigger spots, use rattle can etching primer on those spots,scuff with brown pad and then it'll be fine, non of Evercoat polyester primers bond well to bare metal, no matter what the label on the can says,and if you have some body panels completely down to bare metal, I'd suggest using epoxy primer first, for a piece of mind, it's worth to spend couple hundred bucks ,especially if you plan on keeping the car for a while

Do you find they do not bond well on bare metal with just a chemical bond or with a machincal one?
We always striped a car with aircraft then cleaned it well. then Ran a DA over everthing with 80 so it had both?
Just wondering if it was just a problem for you with a chemical bond or both?
Remember "My poor car" was done in a non resto shop. They mostly did insurance in and out jobs. I helped him out plenty on stuff and my car was done here and there when time was free, also used left over evercoat ultamite primer when some was left over from something else. and the paint was cheap R-M limco supreme. I have 800 in the whole thing.
My next car will be done right I hope.

It was years ago,thank God it was my own Suburban, I molded ABS flares to new fenders,the fenders were grinded and sanded with 80 grit, in about 2 months I started seeing blisters,short strand fiberglass has stuck pretty well to steel,but all bare metal areas that were covered with Evercoat FeatherFill or SlickSand,can't remeber which one,has lifted, so since then I never use polyester primer over bare metal,there is no mechanical or chemical adhesion,