Originally Posted By TooMany62s
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but the serpentine systems on the front of B and RB motors look like an awful lot of "stuff" hanging off the front of the motor. Is there an advantage other than bling?

Yes, there is a FUNCTION to it. My Imperial is being built for reliability, looks be damned.

In years past it was possible to find drive belts in matched pairs. That was necessary for AC and alternator function. Matched belts are now a thing of the past. Most parts stores and employees have never heard of such a thing. In fact, our OReilly's commercial sales rep stopped by on Monday and I mentioned the belts. He was completely lost and had no knowledge of them at all.

I showed him the matched pair I ordered from Mercedes for the 79 450SL we have in the shop and had to explain the problem.

The factory belt routing on the Imperial has a twin belt unsupported run of about two feet between the compressor and alternator. I was unable to find matched belts during the build and did the best I could with what was available.
I threw those belts twice on the Power Tour.

This car WILL be reliable. It will have readily available components where possible. I want to have a worry free trip anywhere I go on the North American continent.

Unlike the vast majority of people here, my car is intended to be driven. Anywhere. Anytime. Any weather. I'll drive it in my heavy commute to work and I'll drive it across the country. In fact, one of my planned trips has rubber on the road in Nova Scotia despite the fact that I live in Dallas, Texas.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon