Ok, got my book. It makes for some good bedtime reading. I agree with everyone that the books are pretty basic and don't go into great detail but I did learn a few things.
By the way cjs I do have a pcv you just can't see it in the pic.
I don't know how I had 12.5 at idle as I mentioned earlier. I may not of had it up to temp or something. I went out last weekend and warmed it up to about 180 and took some readings.
First, vacuum at idle is at 15 after that it goes up to around 22 at 2,500 to 3,000 rpm.
Here's what my A/F gauge is telling me:
800: 11.5 (To make sure I was on the idle circuit)
1000: 11.4
1300: 10.9
1500: 10.6
2000: 10.5
2500: 10.6

For it to idle around 950, my idle speed screw is turned in 1 1/2 turns. I don't know how far into the transition slot that puts it.
I don't know if the carb has replaceable idle jets or not. I plan to pull the fuel bowl so I can note what main jets and power valve are installed so I can look and see then.
The carb is a 950 street HP so it doesn't have the adjustable idle air bypass screw like the ultra models.

I bought a calibration kit that has jets, power valves, squirters and gaskets. I also bought some air bleeds.

As far as timing goes, my initial is at 14 and all in around 3,000 if I remember correctly. I will confirm that.
I have a MSD billet distributor (with both light springs installed)and 6AL box as you can see in the pic.

My plan is to go out and pull the bowl and make notes then check my timing again.
Then I will start with idle and work my way up like Andy mentioned.
Feel free to chime in. I appreciate everyone's input.