Originally Posted By patosmith
I would like to get mine dialed in close enough so I can get it to a performance shop that has the know how and a possibly a dyno.

The Dyno is good for WOT. If the dyno has a load cell and the owner is pretty sharp, the dyno can be used for some other stuff.
But the low throttle position stuff you'll do off the dyno.
Since you have the interest, don't be surprised if you become the guy with the know how. Anyway, get the idle and street stuff running cleaner. Your plan is good. Just be prepared for a journey.

Quote:

Right now the plugs are sooty. I have it close on idle around 12.5 AFR or so but just off idle (around 1500 RPM) it goes fat. About 10.8 to 11.2 on my AF gauge. The carb is out of the box 950 street HP without any tweeks. I haven't checked manifold vacuum yet so could part of the problem be the power valve?

Not likely. The idle restriction is much smaller than the main jet. It doesn't matter if there is more fuel available (power valve opening) because the main jets are not restricting. See post here for link to video. Bruce 'Shrinker" Robertson outlined the situations where the main well pressure is effected. But the simple version is that carbs aren't normally that way.

What is probably happening is that the manifold vacuum is under 14" at idle and then going up as the throttle is opening. The carb will need to deal with this - its pretty common on modified engines.

Vacuum gage will be a big help. Its a good indicator of load and therefore an indirect way to estimate throttle position.

Lots of things effect the idle mix. Idle air bleed, idle restriction are the ones we'ld like to use. But transition slot acts as a variable feed and air bleed, so throttle position comes into play. Fuel level effects pressure so that can make a difference. Also whether it is two corner or four corner idle.

I'd poke around the racing fuels website and see if anyone has mapped out that same exact carb (list number). If not, then add that to your todo list. With that you might get a sense of what probably needs to be done to start moving in the right direction.