440, 915 heads, Lunati voodoo 302 hyd. cam, Edelbrock 800 Thunder AVS, Torker 2, FBO ignition, 2" headers, manual trans:
Starts easy and idles ok also after choke is fully open but driveability is not good untill engine is fully warmed like after 10 minutes or more of driving. Car needs lots of attention to clutch- and accelerator pedal use to function ok without lugging or bogging down at rpm,s below 2000. Going idle to wot before it is fully warmed will make a huge bog - It completely dies. Acc pump set for longest stroke and a huge .043 squirter still makes this happend. A/F meter reads low 14's at idle and cruise, 13,5 loaded and around 12,5 at wot. Best idle micture setting with the screws out about 1,5 turns.
Prior to installing the a/f meter I had bigger jets in the carb but it acted the same when not fully warm. Even when warm it feels like it is on the edge of running too lean and might sometimes bog some when floored. All sympthoms tells me it is to lean but the a/f meter don't... and it has been calibrated.
Am I overlooking something? Thinking lifter preload, pcv valve or other not obvious things that can make for thermic problems?
Also need to mention that I can not tune away a small lean surge going slowly from cruise to heavier load. Tried different springs and jettings to no vail. Works best with purple spring. What do you suggest?