Originally Posted By indcontrols
VERY Nice looking work ! I have done many race cars with the grounding setup such as yours, works fine.
The only issue to look out for is a potential difference between the electrical devices that are mounted to the chassis (motor loads) and the chassis components themselves. It is a mechanism for corrosion, can add to the other corrosion mechanisms that are inherent and unavoidable such as dissimilar metals in contact with each other, fuel by products, lubricants, etc.
As I said, works fine for a race car, not good for a street car loaded with a zillion other luxury devices and such invasive things as trim screw penetrations, coated fabrics, adhesives, etc.
I now use a hybrid version, I complete the "ground" system such as yours, but always tie to the chassis just for the corrosion possibility especially if there is a fortune in paint work... Maybe unnecessary, but better safe than sorry. I also use versicable (braided wire) anyplace there is high temp or even the remote possibility of chafing - the fiberglass jacket is almost impervious, but it does weigh a touch more...
up Point being, it is often impossible not to include the chassis in the ground system somewhere along the line ( point I was trying to make). The key is "most direct path with least amount of connections" - benefit of a floating ground, especially when you have sensitive electronics that require precise current / voltage. I just finished my street rod project and also went with a "hybrid" ( for lack of a better term ) grounding system. Many of the components in my system resided in a fiberglass body, so from a practical side, it behooved me to use the frame as a grounding component in some instances. I also had no critically sensitive electronics on board. Pic shows two main + and - terminals located on the fire wall. One area that is often over looked in the grounding system is the radiator. If yours isn't grounded, it needs to be. beer

33 disassembly.jpg

Fastest 300