Bringing this back from the dead... Again. So, thinking back on this and actually looking at the market the past couple weeks, my mind started pointing to Dakotas. I looked at first Gen's because they're cheap and light and then I started looking at 2nd Gen's and didn't really see anything that caught my eye.

Now I'm starting to look at Ram 1500's. I'm looking more at the 94-01 era and maybe into the early 2000's, but I don't want to spend too much money. Most of what I'm looking for is a truck in the $4k or less range. This vehicle will not be my primary mode of transportation, but a backup vehicle that I can use to haul parts or tow the Dart when needed be. I don't figure I'd put more than 2-3k miles a year on it. I think now, what would be a good combo is a 4x4 Extended Cab, short bed, with a 5.9L. If I do go this route, sometime in the future I would like to do some slight modifications to it so that I can take it on some trails out here in California. Maybe a 2-3" lift with bigger tires. Nothing crazy like a trailing arm kit. What are your thoughts?