I've known I needed to yank the .509 MP cam from my 493 and buy something more modern for a long time. The huge difference between idle vacuum and cruise vacuum made the carb hard to tune, and cams have improved since that cam was introduced. But the endless array of choices made my head hurt, so I did nothing. I think that's called 'analysis paralysis'.

Now I've swapped to EFI, and I made an interesting discovery. I pulled the throttle body yesterday after the engine had been idling for a few minutes and the inside of the intake and the bottom of the throttle body were wet with gasoline... not good! And this is port injection, not TBI. Time to pull the trigger and finally swap the cam.

I figure now that the car has EFI, my camshaft choices have been narrowed. I'm open to flat tappet or roller, mechanical or hydraulic. This is a street car and only sees the strip during fun runs at car shows. Rear gear is 3.54; trans is a Keisler TKO-600. Intake manifold is Edelbrock Victor 440 EFI, and throttle body is a 4-barrel FAST unit. I'm not one of those who is picky about the sound at idle; I want something that'll work well.

Advice is appreciated.

DSC_0003 small.JPG