Originally Posted By 62maxwgn
Originally Posted By f2502011
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By f2502011
My thinking is that you go ccw to increase fuel and cw to decrease fuel. Also thinking if you are blocking an air bleed it richens the mixture so if it falls off its too rich and doesn't want that much fuel. It wants more air. If you block and it speeds up it is too lean and wants more fuel. My Dayclona document is the one that contradicts this is why I'm wondering. It says the complete opposite of what I think and have read in a couple other sources.

Do you test for lean or rich with the rods and vacuum lines connected or disconnected?

Yeah, Sorry when I wrote that mis-direction of air bleed information, I later corrected it, but you probably saved the earlier tuning notes/guide

As far as the throttle linkage, just make sure the end carbs are closed, and no stress/binding is on the linkage/carb throttle plates, you can leave the vacuum lines of the secondaries in place, do disconnect and plug the distributor vacuum advance fitting on the center carb, make sure you set the A/F ratio idle of the center carb before setting up the front and rear

Mike

Thanks for the clarification. When setting up the rod length themselves I've seen it listed differently. Some sources say connect the rods while solenoid is energized. Which way is best?

This:

Service manual says do it with idle solenoid not energized.

Agreed, the solenoid should only be energized when setting the curb idle after all tuning of A/F ratio and linkage adjustments are made, and if you feel more comfortable removing the end carb linkage do so when setting up the A/F ratio, but still confirm the end throttle blades fully close, any debris, scale/corrosion, nicks on the throttle plates can keep them open ever so lightly that it can effect your tuning

Mike