I am thinking about hopping up the 273 in my 66 Barracuda just a bit. Plan is to install a cast iron 4bbl intake I have with a new 4bbl and also to do a new cam at the same time.

Here's some guidelines on what I am doing:
1. Currently it is a stock 273 2bbl.

2. I will continue to run solid lifters. I don't want to change the rocker arms or the pushrods if at all possible.

3. From a performance perspective, I want something that is an upgrade but I don't need street/strip performance. I just want it to have a bit more punch than it does now.

4. I am planning to upgrade the ignition to a Pertronix system.

5. Exhaust system will still use the stock exhaust manifolds. I am thinking about upgrading the exhaust to duals. While not impossible, its also not easy to do on these cars.

6. Rear end is a stock 7.25" rear. I think its 2.9-ish gears - whatever came stock.

7. I have 10 in drum brakes all around. I will upgrade the front to disk brakes. I already have the parts for that in my stash.

So, what I am hoping is one of you can recommend the following:

1. What cam?

2. Which Pertronix will work best for me? Ignitor 1/2/3?

3. What carb would you recommend? I am expecting it would likely be in the 500-600 cfm range?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Joatha; 02/09/16 11:41 PM.

1966 Barracuda 1968 Barracuda convertible 1930 Ford Model A (soon to be hemi equipped) 2006 Dodge 3500 4X4 CTD Quad Cab