EXACTLY!! Thanks for clarifying it so well, Monte...wait a minute, no, no...that's not what I meant. I see what you did there...I think.

I'd say they know what they are doing, trying to wring every bit of horsepower and ET out of a given combination, and that usually puts them on the ragged edge of detonation. That's the game we play, and the line you can't step over is a moving target depending on components in and on the block, the weight it's pulling, the fuel used, and the weather conditions on that day (not the weather they had on the day it ran it's best number).

There is a story about a guy taking a motorcycle licensing test who was instructed to ride up to a white line and stop as close as he could get to it, as if it was a brick wall.

He stopped four feet from the line, and the instructor commented, "That's as close as you can get?" The rider shot back, "If that's a brick wall, that as close as I want to be!!"

I know there is a line where stock blocks break, I don't think it's 600 horsepower.

I know there is a point where all the bandaids you put on a stock block to allow you to ride closer to that line stop making sense as well. I like aluminum caps, but I've never purchased or installed a girdle.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines