Replaced the oil pump in my 69 Coronet. Engine is a stock 318. I assumed it was the original engine ( hopefully this assumption hasn't bit me in the tail & being the cause of my problem). Anyway, I installed the new oil pump & pickup. When I proceeded to mount the new oil pan gasket, I am not comfortable with the way the seals at the front & back of engine fit on the pan. The tips that slide through the pans slotted holes are too big & won't let the seals mount flat against the pan. The one tip I tried to pull through with pliers broke & still won't let seal rest flat against the pan. Looks to me that it will guarantee major oil leakage if I try to mounting the pan with this gasket set up. Gasket set I had purchased was FelPro # OS6566C1. It is listed as to being the correct part for dodge small blocks from 59-69. I didn't want to cut the seals guide tips off yet because I was afraid of the seals sliding out of position (causing leakage). The repair is being done with the engine still in the car.
I was curious if anyone on this forum has encountered a similar issue & what was done or used to fix the problem. Is there major oil pan differences on the 70 & newer 318 that prohibits me from trying that style gasket ? According to my local Napa store, the front & real seals are different.