Quote:

There are particular gear sets than will be noisy, no matter the set-up. But that is more brand or batch specific, than ratio specific.

I agree with this. Most gears will not make much noise if set-up right. But I have seen some that make noise (not alot of noise but some) and they were done by good shops. Working for a Dodge dealer I can tell you I remember a truck that a customer complained the rear was noisey. It was a brand new truck with the new to Dodge "American Rear" and this was around 2005 to 2008 as I dont remember which year. I ended up replacing the ring and pinion and the pinion and carrier bearings as per the Mopar tech adviser and it was no different when I was done. And we had the proper tools for it since we were a Dodge dealer. It was not alot of noise as it was a small whine at about 55 mph. In fact most people would not even complain but this guy must have drove this speed alot. So in the long run Mopar had me replace the full drum to drum rear and recheck all the settings including pinion angle which made no difference as it still had some noise. I do believe the whine noise in the complete new unit did happen at a slightly lower speed. In the end the custumer was told that small whine is normal as it was and as I said most people like you all and me would have never even thought it was noisey enough to complain about. The guy took the truck happy with us as he saw me replacing the complete unit because the service manager brought him in the shop so he could see for himself we replaced the drum to drum unit. Ron