Quote:

I just got the first 440 Source kit in my shop--
Here is what I found:
Pistons were a dish no one else offers except order and wait so they were a Bingo!
Crank was on low side everywhere--so she turned like hot butter another BINGO!!!
Rods ehh...honed pins to fit like normal

Big deal is the crank seal area--It is SMOOTH like they SHOULD BE!! I am done with the "hash mark--deep gouge"-BS on Eagles! No more Eagles in this shop with that mess back there--They need to SOBER UP!! and quit doing cranks that way like it is 1962.....I think they are idiots for keeping that up
So...I am impressed a backyard guy would come out fine with what I recieved after he pinfit the rods --they also mentioned that when I ordered!!
Think they should go ahead and do it for folks to improve their kit but ......silly not to--easy way to imprve their offerings--

Me likey so far....

The reason the rods need to be honed to fit is because there are several different .990 pins and they vary from under to over .990. The rods are sized so they can be fit to the smallest known pin size.

I got that info from Brandon when I picked up my kit from him years ago.

I prefer having my machinist fit the pins. It's one of those clearances that there is no room for error.

I'm not a fan of buying a balanced kit either. By the time you pay to have it checked, you're well on the way to paying for the job in the first place.

Kevin