Moparts

Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved?

Posted By: PorkyPig

Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 10:41 PM

I'm thinking about building a stroker and would like to know if the 440 Source cranks are better these days for grinding precision (taper and runout) than they used to be. It would be a low deck stroker with a 3.91" stroke and not many places even offer a crank like this that I know of.
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 11:02 PM

I have low deck Molnar 3.91 cranks in stock. If you are East coast,shipping may be a little less. If your West coast, then maybe 440 Source would be closer. Let me know if I can help,otherwise I am sure Brandon can help you out.
Posted By: moparmanjames

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 11:08 PM

I built a 526 stroker and the crank was fine, runs great.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 11:11 PM

I've used several 440Source cranks over the years and have never had an issue with them. If money is no object then I use Callies, but most people have a budget that doesn't allow all premium parts.
Posted By: CTD5.9

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 11:22 PM

I just received a 4.25" as part of a stroker kit, according to my machine shop the grinding aspect of it was great. They just took a tiny bit too much on the balance.
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/26/15 11:41 PM

Quote:

I have low deck Molnar 3.91 cranks in stock. If you are East coast,shipping may be a little less. If your West coast, then maybe 440 Source would be closer. Let me know if I can help,otherwise I am sure Brandon can help you out.

Can you tell me if the 2.20 rod journal of the Molnar crank is cut for a Chevy width rod or a Chrysler width rod?
Posted By: Criterion

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 01:45 AM

Quote:

Can you tell me if the 2.20 rod journal of the Molnar crank is cut for a Chevy width rod or a Chrysler width rod?

The one I have here is 2.010 wide ~ Chevy.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 03:36 AM

Same for me, my 4.25 crank was awesome, checked by my engine builder. Came out real close grinded a tad nothing serious

Mikey
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 04:16 AM

No problem with mine - which I bought about 5 years ago.

The tales of bad cranks seem to have been rumors perpetrated by people who had no actual first hand knowledge but are just down on products made in China.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 04:36 AM

Quote:

The tales of bad cranks seem to have been rumors perpetrated by people who had no actual first hand knowledge but are just down on products made in China.

Mine wasn't a 440 Source but was Chinese. Improperly ground so kept eating bearings and snout was over 0.001 inches too small........
Posted By: 383man

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 04:53 AM

Mine been going strong for over 3 years. Ron
Posted By: 68KillerBee

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 06:00 AM

Quote:

No problem with mine - which I bought about 5 years ago.

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 06:09 AM

I never heard of 440 Source being out of tolerance. Mine was checked and found to be right on. Still running strong after about 300 1/4 mile passes. Back when I bought my rotating assembly , Brandon was taking all kinds of flack from the peanut gallery for selling off shore stuff. As stated above, I couldn't afford Callies
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 08:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Mine wasn't a 440 Source but was Chinese. Improperly ground so kept eating bearings and snout was over 0.001 inches too small........

But...parts quality ultimately falls to the installer. You NEVER run ANY aftermarket internal part without a thorough check, right??
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 01:27 PM

I'll go a step further. You never run any stock or aftermarket internal or external part without a thorough check. RIGHT???
Posted By: MoparJunkie

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 01:33 PM

Quote:

I'll go a step further. You never run any stock or aftermarket internal or external part without a thorough check. RIGHT???

Posted By: BradH

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 02:12 PM

Quote:

Bull$hit. More than one person who builds / built engines for a living has provided details in the past on certain cranks whose finish tolerances were far from ideal (excessive journal taper, inconsistent sizing from one journal to the next).

I know some of the brands seem to have gotten better. My 2nd Eagle crank is surprisingly good (my first one needed the mains cut .010"). The only thing I don't like was that the crank snout where the damper fits was on the small side, so I needed to buy a new SFI damper to make sure the press fit was acceptable. My original SFI damper had already been honed to fit an OEM-sized snout and would have been too loose.

Just because some people don't want to hear that their budget parts might not have been machined as precisely as more expensive & higher quality items doesn't make it a "rumor".
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bull$hit. More than one person who builds / built engines for a living has provided details in the past on certain cranks whose finish tolerances were far from ideal (excessive journal taper, inconsistent sizing from one journal to the next).

I know some of the brands seem to have gotten better. My 2nd Eagle crank is surprisingly good (my first one needed the mains cut .010"). The only thing I don't like was that the crank snout where the damper fits was on the small side, so I needed to buy a new SFI damper to make sure the press fit was acceptable. My original SFI damper had already been honed to fit an OEM-sized snout and would have been too loose.

Just because some people don't want to hear that their budget parts might not have been machined as precisely as more expensive & higher quality items doesn't make it a "rumor".

there has been many documented cases. Dan we need you and many of them were 440source
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 06:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go, The question was about 440 Source and now your saying how your Eagle crank was a piece of crap. Just to let you know I had my Eagle crank checked by a top Engine builder and it was good to go. If my 440 Source crank needed to be turned .010 it would have been sent back.
Posted By: dmking

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/27/15 10:55 PM

i got one last year. i was told by the engine builder it was good but on the large side of spec. so he got .001 bearings i think. other than he said it was freeking hard to drill for balance he said good to go.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 01:18 AM

Quote:

Here we go,

No kidding !! The plain and simple fact is, no matter how good of a product you make, somebody, somewhere will find fault with it.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 03:43 AM

i have a winberg,zero problems there.but everything needs checked.cheap,expensive,new,used or whatever.lots of reasons many companys can make mistakes. mistakes are never intentional.check and recheck and sleep well at night.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 03:51 AM

that answers everything on building an engine. Good practice to live by.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 03:59 AM

I have had (2) 440source cranks that checked out good but my 2200 dollar Calais crank that I got off Indy for my 572 was cut .010 when I bought it. Brand new in the box crank.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 04:26 AM

every once in a while,ohio gets a batch that needs remachined,but they tell you that in advance and discount them accordingly.usually they are sold at .010 under after they make them right....
Posted By: GY3

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 06:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go,

No kidding !! The plain and simple fact is, no matter how good of a product you make, somebody, somewhere will find fault with it.

Usually it's the people who have never owned or used one...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 07:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go,

I don't think there is enough sword swallowing going on here , this should bring them out ...

When people you TRUST tell you about, and then show you the damaged bearings from an engine that has only 5 dyno pulls on it, you would be a freaking idiot to take a chance to save 200 bucks ...

But I hope for the sake of the budget builder, that can't get their fill of CCJ, that their QC has improved because they are partly responsible for more aftermarket support for the big block Mopar engine.

Posted By: GY3

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/28/15 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go,

How long ago did this happen?

I don't think there is enough sword swallowing going on here , this should bring them out ...

When people you TRUST tell you about, and then show you the damaged bearings from an engine that has only 5 dyno pulls on it, you would be a freaking idiot to take a chance to save 200 bucks ...

But I hope for the sake of the budget builder, that can't get their fill of CCJ, that their QC has improved because they are partly responsible for more aftermarket support for the big block Mopar engine.

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/29/15 12:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here we go, The question was about 440 Source and now your saying how your Eagle crank was a piece of crap. Just to let you know I had my Eagle crank checked by a top Engine builder and it was good to go. If my 440 Source crank needed to be turned .010 it would have been sent back.

1. Original poster asked about 440 Source cranks.
2. Stanton replied in regards to Chinese parts categorically, to which I (obviously) disagreed with his comment.
3. I also pointed out the my first Eagle crank (also CHINESE), needed the mains cut down, but the only complaint I have w/ the 2nd Eagle crank (still CHINESE) is that the snout is sized on the small side and I bought a new balancer because I couldn't re-use my original balancer since it had been honed to fit an OEM crank and would be too loose on the smaller-sized Eagle snout.

Nowhere did I call my Eagle crank(s) a "piece of crap", YOU did. If I didn't think it was a reasonable piece to use, I wouldn't have bought a 2nd one. However, I surely knew to expect that it might need some correction work, just as previous posts on the 440 Source cranks also told people to expect.

I didn't pay Callies prices (I got mine for $600 each), and I didn't expect Callies quality, but plenty of people on here seem to think you can honestly get the quality w/o the price from so many budget offshore parts. There's been enough evidence of that being unrealistic over the years that you'd think nobody would even debate the topic.

For the OP, my is to buy the Molnar, even if it costs a bit more than the 440 Source when the cost w/ shipping is factored in.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/29/15 12:10 AM

I just got the first 440 Source kit in my shop--
Here is what I found:
Pistons were a dish no one else offers except order and wait so they were a Bingo!
Crank was on low side everywhere--so she turned like hot butter another BINGO!!!
Rods ehh...honed pins to fit like normal

Big deal is the crank seal area--It is SMOOTH like they SHOULD BE!! I am done with the "hash mark--deep gouge"-BS on Eagles! No more Eagles in this shop with that mess back there--They need to SOBER UP!! and quit doing cranks that way like it is 1962.....I think they are idiots for keeping that up
So...I am impressed a backyard guy would come out fine with what I recieved after he pinfit the rods --they also mentioned that when I ordered!!
Think they should go ahead and do it for folks to improve their kit but ......silly not to--easy way to imprve their offerings--

Me likey so far....
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/29/15 03:19 AM

Quote:

I just got the first 440 Source kit in my shop--
Here is what I found:
Pistons were a dish no one else offers except order and wait so they were a Bingo!
Crank was on low side everywhere--so she turned like hot butter another BINGO!!!
Rods ehh...honed pins to fit like normal

Big deal is the crank seal area--It is SMOOTH like they SHOULD BE!! I am done with the "hash mark--deep gouge"-BS on Eagles! No more Eagles in this shop with that mess back there--They need to SOBER UP!! and quit doing cranks that way like it is 1962.....I think they are idiots for keeping that up
So...I am impressed a backyard guy would come out fine with what I recieved after he pinfit the rods --they also mentioned that when I ordered!!
Think they should go ahead and do it for folks to improve their kit but ......silly not to--easy way to imprve their offerings--

Me likey so far....

The reason the rods need to be honed to fit is because there are several different .990 pins and they vary from under to over .990. The rods are sized so they can be fit to the smallest known pin size.

I got that info from Brandon when I picked up my kit from him years ago.

I prefer having my machinist fit the pins. It's one of those clearances that there is no room for error.

I'm not a fan of buying a balanced kit either. By the time you pay to have it checked, you're well on the way to paying for the job in the first place.

Kevin
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/29/15 04:11 AM

Quote:

I'm not 100% certian but I don't think the source cranks were originally a smooth seal surface and they were pretty rough to the point of eating seals ??? So if that's the case then there is a positive direction they went in.

Now the Eagle is a knurled surface ??? That's odd , I'm 99% sure the Eagle crank I have , circa 2003 , is a smooth seal surface , so that would be a step backward for Eagle ???

Re: Has the QC on 440 Source cranks improved? - 03/30/15 05:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...I am done with the "hash mark--deep gouge"-BS on Eagles!...

Now the Eagle is a knurled surface ???...

Just checked my second Eagle crank and -- yup -- it's knurled.
© 2024 Moparts Forums