Quote:

If the engine just will not start unless the bowls are hand primed, that's one thing - I would certainly fix that issue.

But I never understand why people want a stone cold engine that has sat even overnight to start instantly in the first couple rotations. Pretty good chance that all the oil has drained back into the pan, possibly draining the oil passages and the oil filter. There is also the possibility of lifters bleeding down. If they have sat overnight, I rarely attempt to fire any performance engine until I've cranked it and seen oil pressure. IMO an engine that needs to crank 10 seconds or so on that first startup after sitting any length of time is actually doing itself a favor and priming the oil system before it starts, and eliminating any possible dry startup damage. Many hydraulic cammed engines will sound totally different on startup if you "pre-lube" them first, since it gives the lifters on open lobes that have bled down a little a chance to pump up fully and "tighten" the valve train up.

Just a little food for thought about starting that engine that has sat for a while - do you REALLY want it to start first roll?

Absolutely, its a lot easier on the starter and the oil pressure comes up faster. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!