Look in the tech archive , Dwayne porter built a 383 that was destined for stock eliminator that ended up making 500HP with unported 906's. He ended up having to add valve reliefs because he had negative piston to valve clearance. Once he added the valve reliefs and installed a good intake and carb it made 500hp.

If you have access to a 400 block that would be the better choice , but the hard part is making compression with the short stroke , think small chambers and domed pistons.

If you have a 440 crank and a 400 block that would be the way to go on the cheap.

thanks . well that build in the tech archives is what my friend & i want his 383 to go like in his 72 cuda. which i'll start porting in about a hour.
as for mine. am i under estermating the power for my ez headed 383 ? . i hope so . indy says bolt on 100 hp. originly i wanted to use a victor inlet manifold, good custom headers & 3 1/2" exhaust & 850-950 carb, was expecting 570-600hp @7000rpm ish. now i've drawn a line in the sand , & will just use what i've got. i'm still up in the air about cam & stall, there both $200-300 items.

& yes it was ment to be a stroker till if found out i had 2 holes into the water jackets on 2 cylinders & needed resleeving. that's where my stroking money went. & i have that option down the track or turbo. & turbo wins hands down. i'm wanting mid to low 11's i just don't know what to expect. 3200 ish lbs 3.9 gear. i hope i'm underestermating by 40 hp & by removing tail gate, pasenger seat & exhaust i'll drop easy 100-140 lbs.