Quote:

Lurk over at the P15 D24 forum and the Imperial club forum.Both will have info you need.

IMHO, I would not bother with the swap unless you gotta be in the garage to be happy. The 331 is a better motor, but it's still pulling 3500-4000 pounds of 6 volts positive ground metal. Either keep the car close to stock and enjoy, OR build something lightweight for the small cube hemi.

If you get into a swap, it starts into mission creep. Better brakes for the idiots out there and the increased power. Might as well convert to 12V. Better rear axle for the extra power. Might as well go with studs and lug nuts by now. The hemi was single exhaust and the chassis is a challenge to put duals into, but I gotta hear that hemi. The stock manual trans and the fluid drive are old tech. Might as well adapt a 727 or even better, a 518. Tha means a new driveshaft to go from turnnions to U joints.
At this point, you might as well get a 89-03 dodge van with V8 magnum and auto as a donor and forget the early hemi. Or move up to a 3rd gen hemi donor.

Early hemis are cool; I love 'em. But they are big, heavy and under-powered for the effort unless hopped up and installed in something light.

"gotta be in the garage to be happy". Mission creep for sure. I know we have all experienced it. I used to use it to sell my wife on buying stuff - until she got wise. Now I have to submit a plan ( with a budget ) for her to review.

Fastest 300