Alright all you skilled mechanics out there who helped me with my tach problem. I am going to test your skill some more. Here is my last electrical problem ( I hope).

My temp gauge and fuel gauge do not work. Nope not the problem you think. I know immediately we think of the voltage limiter. Nope, replaced and still they did not work. Tested the new limiter and it did not work, reinstalled the original and it tests fine (blinking light on test light) so not the limiter according to the shop manual (and we know it will not be wrong ). Did not change anything with either one of them.

Took out the circuit board, tested all circuits and they all work including the ground. Wire to the temp sender is contacting. Checked the temp unit is grounding, it is. Replaced the temp sender unit. Replaced the temp gauge with another tested gauge. All I can get is about 1/8 of an inch of response from the needle on the gauge when operating temp reached. Installed aftermarket gauge and operating temp is right up to where it should be. Really not sure what else to check unless the ground is not working properly after the dash cluster is reinserted.

Gas gauge. Yep replaced the ground strap at the tank and tested it is grounding. Check lead wire to sender unit. Had unit out of tank and is showing it is contacting the resister and showing ohms variation as you raise and lower the float. Back to dash, replaced gauge with a working one, checked circuit board - ok.

Strange that it is only those two gauges and both on the same side of the dash and both use the voltage limiter. Only thing I can think of now is the voltage limiter is not making contact inside the printed board when you insert it so current is reaching the limiter but not the gauge.

Anyone had this stubborn problem. I think a ground problem. Guess my question is, if the limiter is testing properly when dash all installed, then the ground must be working for the cluster. There is no ground wires for the cluster so figure it must ground through the screws that hold the cluster into the dash. Very hard to test after the cluster is in.

HELP