Quote:

I tow my Dakota on a 18' open trailer behind my 98 Ram 2500, never felt the need to use my EQ hitch but last year I bought a Tilt-A-Hitch off craigslist for 75 bucks, never used it out of fear that it would make towing a challenge. I plan to make a trial run with before I'm all loaded up and committed to going to the track.

Please try it, I bet you will notice a difference for the better. I know you will properly setup. It keeps the front end of your truck down during bumps and is huge in safety.

A weight distributing hitch of one sort or another is way better than none at all, even for a 18' open trailer with a car on it.

To the OP, wow towing without a weight distributing hitch with a 28' enclosed trailer? I can't imagine. What trailer dealer let you get out of the lot without one? Please get and use the right one, see a good long time in business hitch company. They will get you the right equipment for your trailer. That's way too much trailer to have all on the back tires. Even a 18' open car trailer should be towed using a "weight" hitch.

I have been using the same Reese hitch with weight distributing bars that was originally for a 26' enclosed trailer and a 3/4 ton pickup since 1986. I'm not sure on how high the bars are rated? I'm thinking high for a 26' trailer because the hitch was specced for that trailer.

Since then I have used it with 4 other trailers and at least 5 or more different tow vehicles over the years including currently behind a huge toterhome pulling a little 18' open trailer with a car on it. Even then the weight hitch makes a difference and I use one. It dampens the up and down over bumps even with a huge wheelbase toterhome with 505 HP(big and heavy in the front end). I have towed both ways several times to be sure. Got lazy and didn't hook up the bars for a short trip and the ride was worse. My

Bragging, I towed a honest 18000+ miles last summer with my weight hitch, 2014 alone.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 01/25/15 01:31 AM.