Quote:

I don't know what exaclty it is, or how it works, what it does, other than it's in the steering wheel, and it has something to do with the airbags.

The clock spring is actually an interesting part.. Its nothing more than a large ribbon cable about 6-8 feet in length and then wrapped around in circles about about 15 times and held inside a fancy plastic container..

On one end of the cable attaches to the wires in the steering colum, the other end attaches to the air bag and switches located on the steering wheel.

This allows you to turn the steering wheel in either direction and keep the electrical connection..

In my case, I had the truck in the dealership back in May of this year.. They were to replace the adjustable brake pedal that broke.. To do this the tech needed to remove the steering colum.

Since that servicing, the horn/cruise/airbag worked intermittently... then it stopped completely.. This last weekend, we tore into the steering colum expecting to find a loose wire connection or something similair.. What we found was a clean break in the ribbon cable.

Like I said earlier, the cost from the dealer is $180 and all my searching here on the internet, the only clock spring I can find is for 2002 and older Dodge Rams..

Thanks anyways to you all.. I'll keep looking..