Quote:

I've had a '76 440 with an Ohio Crank 499" kit in it for 8 years now. That poor thing has has the crap beat out of it on the street and on the track.

Had a 180hp nitrous kit on it for a while that beat the ring lands out of one piston and broke the rings in 4 other cylinders. Lost 2 lobes on a cam and had to have it line bored. Had a balancer outer ring slip, causing me to set the timing too high for a weekend of racing. And on and on.

That engine has consistently put at least 500hp to the rear wheels. Not bad for a "thin web" block.

You better keep that one I've taken a 452 C.I. 1969 440 block apart that had aluminum rods, B1-BS heads made a little over 600 HP on a DTS engine dyno on race gas, the main web was broken between the #1 and #3 cylinders from the main web where the upper main bearing rides in and up and almost into the bottom of both cylinders I've seen the same thing on one 426 M.W. block and have heard of a lot of other 440 blocks that had cracked the main webs, no B.S., just bad luck on the owners parts I guess I try not to build any stock 440 blocks now that will have more than 750 HP on a engine dyno on good gas

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)