Quote:

Hey Guys has anyone put a 4.5 stroke crank in a low deck? I have a heavy webbed 400 block that I would like to add that extra stroke but I don't see anyone doing it. Will it just not fit? I have a heavy dodge prostreet truck to move around and I would like tons of torque! If not I can pick up a 440 block.

Thanks Joe

I've used both 4.25 and 4.300 stroke cranks in the same standard 400 block and had no problems with it beating the heck out of it for many years before trading the car off several years back As far as what your doing what size are the rod journals now? If 2.375 like stock Mopar your in for lots of grinding and maybe even hitting water in the bottom of some of the cylinders I use BB Chevy rod journal sizes on most of my Mopar BB and Hemi stroker motor builds now I am in the middle of putting a proposal together for using a set of GRP aluminum rods in a 4.500 bore World iron block with SB Chevy big journal, 2.199 rod sizes, I called Ohio crankshaft CO and they can make me a Hemi core crank to that spec. so if the customer pulls the trigger I will do that soon hopefully. Aluminum rods are quite a bit wider on the bottom end compared to forged or billet steel rods of the same rod sizes
BTW, I used a 6.800 long forged H beam CAT brand rod in my Duster motor, the pistons where hockey pucks and had the wrist pin in the oil ring,SO WHAT, no big deal really The piston skirts did come out the bottom of the cylinder walls at bottom dead center with no ill effects that I could find If you don't think out of the box and experiment you will never outrun the others guys, correct
As far as torque and Mopar BB use the 400 block for your deal , not a stock 440 block I'm sure a 4.375 stroke crank with 2.200 rod journals will fit in your thick main web block with very little grinding on the bottom end using a set of forged steel I or H beam rods

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)