Quote:

I don't have the money or the energy to do this, I was just thinking that IF someone did have the time and money to do so, and was trying to be competitive, the rules seemed to be open enough to allow this. I agree that a 'silhouette' muscle car is not in the spirit of the class.

Starting with a nice 72 Challenger and doing a stroker small block with a race pan, a sorted trans, driveshaft and diff, the full Hotchkiss upgrade with brakes and wheels/tires, and a decent cage and safety equipment, you are in some serious money. It would also likely be a backrunner compared to something like the Camaro I posted, with a similar driver.

I enjoy the Grass Roots Motorsports challenge cars. Build something that is interesting using your intelligence and grit instead of going to a pro shop and getting the best tool for the track.

Let's face it, most street muscle cars would be limited by the driver, not the car. However, if the SCCA is serious about developing this class, they will have to do the usual limiting. Without it, it will become a single style car (whatever becomes the best tool) that is outrageous in cost to remain competitive. It's just the evolution of racing we have all seen. Perhaps if the class stays only local, no regional or national coverage, it could become like (ugh) Golf, where anyone can go out and have fun competing against the course and their own best, not run against Tiger Woods. That should be what true amateur solo racing should be, having fun and working to better your car and your skills.

It's already getting that way. last few years were all about the 2nd Gen Camaro. Last 2 years Top cars in the Good Guys autocross shootout were C2 and C3's. Guess what everyone is buying and building this Winter?