Quote:

Spool on the street?

VERY bad idea, ANY amount of moisture on the street and it's like being on glare ice. Rounding corners drags a tire and can break an axle, and not always when you are turning a corner, it can stress and break when least expected.

Nodular/Yukon (Tru-Track) 8.75 with a Sure Grip. Plenty for most any street strip car unless it's a big power/heavy car on slicks. Brand new drop in will run about $1250.00

Detroit Locker? Strongest of the 8.75's but they are noisy. I run one in my 71 Demon and am going back to a Nodular 8.75 Sure Grip, I just don't like the racket when cruising and probably don't need the extra strength on any tire that's streetable. These run a hundred bucks or so more than the Nodular/Yukon Tru-Track unit.

For a bit more $ you can buy a custom built Dana 60 from Cass and be done with it. In your case that would be my move.

While a spool does take a little extra care, it is nowhere like driving on glare ice.

I would almost vote a locker more dangerous, because a locker turns into a spool when you apply power. So you go into a corner with an open diff and when you accelerate it locks up like a spool...that can get nasty in the wrong hands. Its also really fun to do it on purpose lol.

My jeep is locked front and rear, in the wet all it takes is a blip of the throttle to throw it sideways in a turn because it engages the locker. Its the only way to have sideways fun with a 250HP I6 and 35" tires, sure as heck won't do that on dry pavement lol.

My Barracuda has a spool and its a 100% low eleven second street car. Rain does require caution but I don't feel the spool is anymore dangerous than the locker in my jeep.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340