I managed to pick up a sweet truck today:

1992 D150 short bed. No rust or dents anywhere!

It has the 3.9 and a 3 speed automatic. 112,000 miles.

I met the guy and I already knew that the engine had a miss. This was explained on craigslist clearly. I am ok with that. The check engine light is on. The ABS and parking brake light is on.

The guy drove the truck and met me. I drove the truck and the miss was there. It drove ok, but I had to let off the gas a little at 50 mpg for it to shift into 3rd gear. Otherwise, sweet truck and it drove great.

Anyway, whatever.

The guy picked up the truck a few months ago, and it ran perfect. On the long drive home it started to develop this miss which I am talking about.

He has since changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil, distributor and distributor cap. The miss is still there.

I bought the truck and got it home without any issues. I started looking around. All of the wires and everything he said looks new.

I took the cap off, not cracked, everything great. I made sure all vacuum lines were attached. I took them off the intake just to make sure they were not cracked, then put them back on.

Anyway, I start the truck up and it runs good.
I then put it into gear and it dies. It runs great in park and neutral, but it will die in gear.

Why would it do this? I didn’t change anything. I even took the distributor cap off again to make sure it was lined up. It bolted on without any issues.

Is my transmission a lock up transmission? Could this by my problem?

Anyway, I know my old mopars but I have never had a truck. Why is this truck dying when I put it into gear? Where to start looking?

Thanks,
Eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car