Quote:

Quote:

Stay safe and be sane.

Number 1. Using acid to remove dirt, oil, and gunk is poor workmanship and a bad choice of methods. Better to use your wife's dishwasher with hot water and strong ammonia-containing soap or some other effective cleaning method.

Number 2. Insert only clean objects free of dirt, oil, and rust scale in a de-rusting chemical to preserve the strength and effectiveness of the chemical. It's a waste of the chemical to dissolve rust scale and cut oils that could have been easily removed.

Number 3. If you are trying to restore a piece of metal, generally speaking HCl is overkill and way too corrosive and unsafe. If the piece being restored has spot welds, HCl left in the cracks can keep on corroding and pop the welds. Something a lot less potent, such as vinegar or Evapo-Rust will get the job done effectively and safely. Yes, one of these is not cheap, but if you use good workmanship and follow Number 2 above, you won't waste it.

Number 4. Remove any object from any rust removing chemical immediately as soon as de-rusting is accomplished.

1. It's not a bad method. It's just a method.
2. The whole point of the acid bath was to remove dirt oil and rust.
3. Driving a car is unsafe. Having sex is unsafe. Flying in a plane is unsafe. playing football is unsafe. All one can do is to be as safe as possible doing any of these things, and it's no different when using chemicals to clean metal, wood, or anything else. Also, the parts Im dipping have no welds.
4. Agreed.

From now on I will be neutralizing my acid when finished. I dont mind disposing of it at the dump's hazardous chemical hut. But there is also a free oil dump at one of the local parts stores. In this oil dump, you can dispose used motor oil that is full of carcinogens, metals, dirt and water.

If I neutralize the acid bath after use, it too should contain dirt, oil, water and bits of metal right? So shouldn't this qualify as acceptable to dump in the used oil dump at the parts store?

Bold text: Your not doing it right