It's not really much of a pain. I always get help putting it on the roof. In 40+ years, I only had to worry about the wind once at a car show. You don't need to take it off that often and you can always get help. Mine flew off my old black car twice. Once on the trailer on my way to the races. After I loaded it up, I disconnected the battery and walked around behind the trailer and forgot to put the pins in. It blew off about 800' down the road. It was 4 lanes and a car behind me stopped and moved it to the shoulder. I was lucky to realize it almost as soon as it happened. I had to walk back and get it and carry it myself about 800' and put it back on the car on the trailer! It only weighs about 37 lbs but that was tough duty to carry it that far on a 95 degree sunny day! It cost me $40 to get a friend to fix both corners and repaint it back gloss black. Nice to have such friends!
The second time was leaving the scales at Maple Grove after weighing in after winning a big race. I had to get in the engine compartment after I weighed it and the cars were lining up behind me. I took iff in a hurry and it flew up about 30' landed on the tip of my deck lid almost right above the trunk lock and ended up flat on the pavement behind me without hurting the hood! I did some paintless dent repair on the decklid before that technique became a craft. The car still had a ding on it that I couldn't get out when I sold the car in 1995. I would not trade my lift off hood for anything!

8063493-DCWOW1986.jpg (219 downloads)