Most of the factory cars from Chrysler would have the air intake temp sensor in the inlet air tube hose to throttle body or in the housing so the incoming air would pass over it. But they are called Intake Air temp sensor which I always felt it meant the temp of the air as its going into the intake. Most factory systems also use the ambient air temp sensor for outside air temp also and they were usually in the grille or around that area and some used a battery temp sensor for the temp at the battery for voltage settings. But I agree that it should be somehwhere to read the temp of the air coming in the intake so the air going in the intake moves past it.
I can tell you it can be very important and it gets overlooked alot. Years ago our Dodge dealer had a Lebaron 2.5 turbo car that kept pinging alot. The tech working on it tried everything and could not get it to stop pinging. He made sure the EGR worked and checked the timing curve over and over and made sure the eng temp was just right. But to make a long story short he called the Mopar tech line and talked to the one guy at the tech line who was really good. I remember well as he was British and a real nice guy who I became good friends with. But he told him to check the intake air temp sensor and if not sure to replace it. Bingo !! On the turbo model the eng controller (PCM) will give more timing advance on colder intake air temps but when the intake air gets warmer it will back the timing curve down. And this intake temp sensor kept telling the PCM the air was cold and it let the PCM give to much timing. Even though the eng temp sensor was working right as was the eng knock sensor with the intake temp sensor stuck in the cold mode it would still over ride the eng coolant temp curve. And boy you can hurt a boosted eng real easy with so much advance it pings all the time. Sorry to ramble on but that story came to mind when I read this post. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/01/14 02:07 AM.