Quote:

Taking weight off the back of the car is the wrong place to do it. Of course that is exactly what I did 35 years ago. On my '68 Coronet I built rear wheel tubs out of sheet steel and in doing so I lost the trunk hinge support structure. So I pinned the deck lid (after I cut out the webbing and spent hours repairing the damage that caused)in the front corners with 1 pin in the center of the back. This meant that when I had to fuel the car, I had to pull the pins, pull off the lid and find someplace to lean it while I filled the fuel cell. I also took the quarter window regulators and glass out cause the new tubs interfered with the regulators and replaced them with plexiglass. I took a few small pieces off the front of the car and moved the batteries to the trunk. So it was a lot of work and no real benefit

The winningest bracket racer in this area is Don "The Worm" Elgin and he adds ballast to his Pontiacs to dial them in. If you need the last possible advantage to reach your ET goals then have at it. If you want to win bracket races, refine your existing combination

No doubt, that's why I phrased my reply like I did. The intent wasn't to say do it here, but to say look around before going totally radical with acid. My car was "race prepped" by the shop of a known factory racer, and they treated the stamping lines in the sheetmetal like "cut here" lines. The trunk lid was just the most obvious in a photo.

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised