Quote:

Well... turdly 318's are avialable usually for free.....

it's only saving grace

Quote:

a 360 block gives you 408 cubes which is 18 more than the 318 stroked to 390. For any given combo assuming you make 1 hp per cube or a little more you are looking at about 20-25HP less. Does that make it a turd?

yes, your assumptions are off the mark.

Quote:

Is a chevy 383 stroker a turd??? SBC 350's stroked to 383 are probably about the most common stroker combo on the planet and Chevy guys love them.

ah, let's bring the most polished turd on the planet into the conversation. The only reason the Chevy 383 is so "loved" is because the even bigger SBC, the 400, is a larger turd than the 350. YOu'll note the only way the SBC 383 makes any decent power is if you dump most of the OEM parts for aftermarket.

Quote:

Yet the Mopar crowd seems to turn up their nose at a 390? I just don't get it.

probably because ANYTHING you do to a 318 will, I repeat will, show more of an improvement on a 360, including stroking it.

Quote:

A 390 can be built very cheap. 4" cranks can be had for $325.00 Cheap Eagle SIR rods for $250.00 KB forged pistons for $395.00...... So the reciprocating assembly can be had for less than $1,000 and a 318 stroker with the Eagle rods will not need to have the expense of having the block clearanced. All this can be internally balanced by drilling the counterweights with no expensive mallory metal like the 360 based combo's.

Which will make zero power with 318 heads. Polish away. Cheap crank, cheap rods, hmm, you get what you pay for I guess. BTW, same rods can be used in a 360. BTW, stock 360 pistons weigh less then stock 318 pistons, so why does the 360 need to be externally balanced? The STROKE. If thwe 4" 318 crank has enough weight in the counterweights to allow for internal balance then the 360 4" crank should too. Unless your buying a cheap crank, oh wait.

Quote:

Yes the 3.940 bore is somewhat smaller but there is no problems running even a 2.02 intake valve at all. My 390 uses EQ magnum style iron heads with 2.02 intake valves and it pulls like a big block. TBF

Ever hear of valve shrouding? 2.02 might fit the bore, but the valves are substantially more shrouded in the 318 bore. As for pulling like a big block, ah no. It pulls like a stroked small block. Put it up against a 440, or a 413, or a 426W and you'll see what a big block pulls like.

Point is you can spend money anyway you want but my OPINION is that your wasting it on a 318 unless that is your only option.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.