Quote:

Case in point though, the typical small block chevy made like 550hp stock. Then when you installed a 4bbl carb and a chrome air cleaner the power surpassed 575hp! (The same engine installed in ANY year camaro would produce close to 625hp) Dont even bring up a 3/4"cam!

whaa...did I miss something?

stock small block chevy?

common, let's try to keep it real here!

a 400 will make great power with stock parts. sure, your average iron head will max out arund 450 hp, and aluminum up to around 500-550.

the key to making a stock stroke 400 a good motor, is compression and heads. big bore allows for big valve and heavy breathing to help make torque, short stroke allows for insane revs out of a big block.

build it with aftermarket rods, pistons, etc. and save a TON of weight, you'll have a big block that makes big block power, yet revs like a small block.

my 383 is running a 440 crank, lighter rods, lighter pistons, smaller wrist pins, eddy heads. last time I did the math, I think I'm something like 7 kilos lighter on the rotating assembly over stock. 7,000 grams! that's over 14 pounds of metal off the spinning assembly!

it revs to 6500 FAST, but its making over 500 ft lbs of torque at 3,000 rpm. I don't have numbers below that because the dyno started at 3,000 rpm.

my combo maxes out at about 6200 though, because of the cam that I'm running, flat tappet hydraulic. I'm ok with that though, this is a street vehicle, not a dedicated track racer. 500 ft lbs of torque from 3,000 rpm to 5800 rpm is enough for me. I wouldn't want to sacrifice my bottom end grunt just to chase higher RPM HP that I would never be able to use on the street anyway.

**Photobucket sucks**