Quote:

What are you attempting to build.

A 440 source or Edelbrock head can and will make in excess of 600 hp on the right combo.

I haven't made up my mind yet on what to build. I'm thinking of a steel crank 400, or a 451, or just a good 440.

I have a 400 in my 65 belvedere, but don't know if they can run like I want. I would like to put it in the low 12's. by the time I cut a 440 crank to fit my block & buy pistons for a 451 I could just about stroke a 499ci motor. can a 400 run good? Are they good for torque, or do they like rpm's?

head wise, how can a stock type head make that kind (450-500) of power? 915 & 906 Mopar heads just do flow what a good stock small valved small block chevy head flows. I can see where the monstrous torque comes from but how can they feed a 6,000-6,500 rpm 500-550 HP 440?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not throwing off on Mopar's, I love Mopar's & always have. The chevy's I've done for the last 15 years is because their cheaper to build, & parts are easier to find. don't get me wrong I like chevy too, but Mopar is my first love. mopar big blocks are the best looking engines ever. they just look clean..