IMHO the name is pure marketing, not gimmick. The name should be exciting plus give some clue as to what the product is about. So Voodoo is an exciting name that hints that there's something about this cam family that seems magical.

BTW, kudos to Hughes for getting Whiplash cams to market and having them work as well as they evidently do. Can't let Comp have the market!

To me, the gimmick is a cam that has a particular "sound".

I'm more old school, how the engine sounds is not very indicative of how it will run on the street. Take for example the chevy pickup with a 350 and a 250 degree at 50 lift camshaft and a pair of Flowmasters. It barely idles, it sounds mean, but on the street, performance sucks. I hear them all the time in my backyard as they accelerate away from stop signs. How can I say performance sucks, because they usually are running an automatic and I can tell how long it takes between shifts.

R.

The last car that had an interesting sound that I immediately thought "hot" was a Shelby Mustang clone with a slightly nervous sounding solid lifter cam. As it sat there idling at 900 rpm in the lane next to me I understood immediately that it was quick. And as he banged through the first three gears running away from me, I knew I was right.