Over the last 30 years, I don't know how many times I've had axles in and out of an 8.75 - probably close to a hundred as I've mixed and matched gears, brakes, or complete axles under A's, B's, and C's. I really don't remember having any real trouble, so I hope I'm just overlooking something simple and stupid.

I'm getting my Sport Fury ready for the road, and the axle & rear wheel bearings are really all that's left to freshen up. I've got everything back together, but when I install the axles, both sides stop with a "clunk" with about 3/8" to 1/2" space between the bearing retainer flange and the brake drum backing plate. The studs on the ends of the axle tubes just barely poke through the bearing retainer holes. Enough to start the nuts, but WAY too far out to tempt fate and use them to snug the axles down. In fact, putting a little torque on them makes the bearings get tight.

Both sides have about the same gap.

Both sides are stock 68 C-body axles.

Diff is a 742 SG with 3.23 gears and clutch-type SG unit - thrust block is in place.

I thought that maybe I had gotten the splines out of line when I rebuilt the SG several years ago, but a spare axleshaft I have drops in with just a little wiggle. Splines engage about 1.25" on this SG, another untouched SG, and a couple of virgin open diffs... so I'm *pretty sure* that the diff isn't the problem.

So, what the heck am I doing wrong? I'd really like to get this old girl buttoned up this weekend so I can get her on the road for the first time in 9 years.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight,

Clair