Quote:

It would have been a Challenger.

Both cars were likely scheduled for a mid-February build, but there is no way to know when either was actually built.

The engines & transmissions were stamped right before the matching body was lowered onto them.

These two cars may have been one right after the other on the assembly line & the worker doing the stamps simply neglected to roll the digits to the correct numbers the first time.

We may never know for sure, but I do not see any evidence of fraud on this one.

Looks like Barry is pretty close to the answer but you never know in this world of Money comes first.

I wonder if the line worker used one or two stamping tools when stamping the motors and transmissions. One for the Dodge and one for the Plymouth, if the numbers were so far apart. Then the next thing I wonder who picked up the error with the numbers and who corrected the numbers. What I am saying is did the Line Worker see the mistake or did it go down to inspection and they restamped the numbers on the transmission. I have some experience in this process but Chrysler in 1970 could of had a different process with repairs or restamping numbers. Were I worked it would of been done a few ways. The Worker would of XXXXXXXXed all numbers out and put on the correct number or the worker might of said F-it and just stamped over it, or the inspector and repair might of corrected the stamping with a completely new or different set of stamping tools. The error could of been made when a relief man took over the job for the Line Worker. Maybe the line worker was a new employee and was not to familiar on the job and just stamped over the numbers many times. Bottom line, you would have to find the paper work from the line for the repair or you would have to of been there when it was done were ever it was done.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY