Quote:

My 70 RR is almost finished. have a 440 engine topped with edelbrock heads and a six pack setup. I want to swap in a hyd roller cam. I want torque to be about 475-500. Any suggestions? Also what roller lifters do you guys recommend?

I've used most of the different brands of hydraulic roller lifters on the market and have pretty good success with all of them. I think you need to pay close attention to cleanliness first off. Any debris no matter how small will keep the lifters from working properly. After that a lot depends on the weight of the valve train and the rpm you feel you want to run at. With that being said, spring pressures and spring rates need to be looked at very closely. Not enough spring and you will damage the lifter, too much spring and you'll damage the lifter. too much pre-load and the lifters try to pump up, causing the valves to stay open at higher rpm's. not enough preload and the pushrods will hammer the plungers and destroy the lifters. If you do your homework, or deal with a reputable shop, you have a far better chance of getting it right the first time. As far as the torque number you listed, you should be able to easily hit that number and more if you want to as long as the rest of the combination is in order.
Okay, back to the Holiday Inn Express I go now.

machine shop owner and engine builder