Quote:

You can run a carb with no problems and certainly save yourself a ton of money. Unless you are going to run over 10lbs of boost a carb is fine. If it is set-up right you will have no problems. I ran my S/C'd 440 in hot, cold, wet weather with 0 problems.

More power to you (pun intended) if you are happy with how you can make a boosted carb work. As we said earlier, up to 8 (maybe 10) you can get by. You still have the mixture issues, but the richening it takes to run OK under boost isn't enough to totally drown the engine under other conditions. The problem is still there and cost you fuel and plugs (like feets).Where it really shows up is in "on/off" throttle conditions where you feather the throttle. Since you have to do you richening in the power circuits and secondaries, if you feather enough that they close, you go way lean, unless you have the whole setup running really rich.

I have seen/ridden in/driven quite a few setups that folks said "ran perfect", that IMHO were far from what I would call good driveability.

Remember that somehow you have to trick the carb into delivering more than twice as much fuel (at 15 psi) than at cruise, when it is seeing pretty much the exact same conditions (velocity at a given rpm).

Yeah I wouldn't go over 8 w/ a carb but I've seen it done. My car was a very mild set-up and actually didn't see boost until vacuum went to zero. So even at highway speeds I was using little if any boost. The car was very drivable and it was like having a 150 shot anytime your foot hit the floor. Boost is a great way to improve HP and torque.