In my example I don't think it was the best possible combination, but it was better than the 2-barrel intake and small port 318 heads that were on it.

The 340 resto cam is a pretty good cam, although there are some Comp cams we would have liked to have tried instead, but this motor was built with parts we had laying around.

The 308 casting 360 heads are an open chamber, and do have the small 318 exhaust ports, but they have the bigger 360 intake ports and the headers do help with exhaust flow.

If we had to try it all over again we might have used a set of 360 "J" heads with 2.02 valves, pocket port, gasket match to an Edelbrock air gap performer rpm intake and either comp cam XE268H or maybe XE274H, but at that point why not just build a 360, it's 42 cubic inches bigger to start with.

If you have a set of 360 heads with 1.88 valves and the heads are in good shape, I say go ahead and use them on your 318. Make sure you pick a cam, intake, and exhaust system that works well the heads though.