Quote:

Quote:

Conclusion –

Rather than spending hard earned funds on an oil additive which may give questionable results, use those funds towards a properly formulated and proven motor oil; a balanced lubricant.

CompSyn

While I agree with this statement, I have not been able to fine "good" oil in the lower viscosities that are sometimes needed, like 5W30. I know that the newer engines are rollerized at many of the wear points where zinc etc helps, but there are lots of other metal on metal points too, like rings, pushrods, oil pumps, etc. We just don't know yet if engine life is going to be shorter with SM oil, and won't for a long time. Because of this, I like to get some additive in the oil weights that don't come in the good stuff, particularly on things like our camper van (6.0 Chev in a 3500 extended van, hauling around over 8000# all the time) It needs to be on 5W30 to maintain the 100K warranty.

Oil additives typically increase the viscosity of the oils they are added to. So if your goal is a 5W-30 oil, it may end up much thicker after the additive is added.

Below are a couple examples of high zinc/phos oils that are in the lower viscosity spectrum you are after.

AMSOIL Series 3000 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil (HDD)

• (HDD) Zinc = 1379ppm
• (HDD) Phosphorous = 1266ppm

AMSOIL Dominator® Synthetic 5W-20 Racing Oil (RD20)

• (RD20) Zinc = 1676ppm
• (RD20) Phosphorous = 1509ppm

4793002-Amsoil_35th.gif (30 downloads)