Quote:

If you do your homework ,you can find "GOOD" oil and don't need addatives.This subject has been beat to death on a few other forums.

When discussing oil additives the issue of compatibility between the oil and the additive remains up for debate.

In THIS bench test for example, it is shown that adding a well known oil additive to gear and motor oil causes oil foaming. How much this bench test can be related to real world use remains unseen. But one thing is certain; adding an oil additive to an already blended oil product shows an effect. In the case of this bench test, the effect is not a favorable one.

I visualize it this way. Consider a quart of motor oil as a container of chemicals, or more exactly, balanced chemicals blended by a Chemist or Tribologist in a laboratory with carefully selected chemical components. Some of these chemicals are known to complement one another. Sometimes the blended result is positive while other times it is negative. Comparatively, when you mix two separate oil products, blended by two separate companies, what will the outcome be? Will it be positive OR negative? The answer to this question is obscure at best and outcomes may vary. The next question could be, am I willing to take a gamble and blend two separate oil products?

Another area where this topic gets clouded is the issue of extreme contact loads in performance flat-tappet camshaft applications. In recent times, many of us have experienced, heard, read, or know someone who has had a flat-tappet cam failure. Many times this has been attributed to such things as lifter quality, poor cam metallurgy, and of course the lower zinc/phosphorus content in newer API (SM) rated motor oils. In the latter possibility, the temptation to utilize an oil additive to supplement an apparently weak lubricant is understandable. However, I believe that with a little research, it can be reasonably determined that a properly blended motor oil will contain the right chemical properties which can provide optimal camshaft protection without the need for additional oil additives.

Conclusion –

Rather than spending hard earned funds on an oil additive which may give questionable results, use those funds towards a properly formulated and proven motor oil; a balanced lubricant.

CompSyn