I am working on a mopar most people including mopar owners would not give a 2nd look to...1979 Newport 4 door. It's a very nice survivor/unrestored car but massaged to handle the turns and eat up the interstate or 2 lane. I own it only because my father [now deceased] ordered it new in 1979 and it was given to me in 1990. It is a neat car for sure esp the way he optioned it.

While MoPar calls this car a "R" body underneath it's 73 B body all the way.

In my search for a quality performance shock for the front of this particular car I found nothing was available. I read where the C body guys were converting chevy shocks but I found no one had tried doing this with the late B bodies. I had 20 yr old KYB's on this car. After using KYB's for years I have found they suck in quality for the long term as most cheap shocks do esp when they get hot.

The edelbrock chevy shock #33016 is very close to the legnth of the KYB # 4506, so close that it will work if you shorten the lower portion of the upper bushing 2/3 of its height. You also must push out the chevy pin at the bottom and use the metal sleeve from the donor shock bottom.

For the rear I used the spring plate from a 74
B body which allows the use of the Edelbrock shock that is speced for 70-74 B-E Bodies.

I will post pics of this as soon as I am done but here is a pic of the shocking truth for the front.

One other tidbet-the car was ordered with HD suspension and no one makes a poly bushing for the rear spring shackles which is a dissapointment. The nice lady at ESPO springs n things was surprised to hear of the interesting bushing config ma mopar put back there.

If this car appears in your rear view mirror on the interstate I suggest you move out of the way as this is your wolf in sheep's clothing

1504926-Picture 1068.jpg (410 downloads)