540.. The motor is a 69 block that has been together and running at .060 for a better than 25 years with no issues. I bought it in 1988 and put it in a p/u I had that ran 12.44@112. Motor sat for about 6 years and I freshened it for my 4x4 in 1995. Drove it until 2001 and motor sat for another 11 years. When we pulled it apart to check it out the bore was still good. I guess not being ran a lot over the years has saved it.
We replaced the rotating assembly with rods and crank that had been together in a 273 with low miles. everything checked out good at the machine shop so we used those. I never realized or noticed the opening in the back of the crank until time for the transmission.
It is a huge PITA but having the crank drilled to match the converter will fix the problem. We mic'd the converter snout and the back of another 318 crank to double check the diameter. By using the two it looks like there is about .005 difference in the crank diameter and the t/c snout. The machine shop said it isn't anything difficult to do.
Donnie...I thought there was something to the fact that the older 727 converters were different than the later ones but I didn't know exactly what the differences were. I didn't know you got the car from Buddy. I remember Nick talking about it yrs ago and said that it got wrecked when it was on a tow-bar or something on its way to Petersburg. I don't know for sure what ever happened to it.
Godscountry340...I'm not sure about being baked at my house but I know it is when baked at yours.... Get back to your honey-doos!! I know the wife has a long list of things you need to be doing.

...FAFO...